Understanding your survey

Everything you need to know about understanding your survey report.

Your survey is an important document, you should read it from cover to cover and highlight any sections which you don’t understand or want to discuss further.

You should also pass a copy of the report to your legal adviser.

Should there be any aspects of the survey you need to discuss then please don’t hesitate to contact our Survey Support Team on 01332 916 214.

Frequently asked questions

  • What do the Condition Ratings mean? Chevron Down IconIcon set Chevron Down

    Your RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) HomeBuyer Report or Building Survey has four ratings to highlight the condition of the property. These are defined as follows:

    • No significant repairs are needed: This means that no work is required urgently; however, you will have to complete ongoing maintenance. All properties require ongoing maintenance and repair. The extent of work needed will vary depending on the age, style and condition of the property.
    • Defects that need repairing or replacing but are not considered to be serious or urgent: This does not mean that these items can be ignored. We recommend that estimates for such works are obtained prior to making a legal commitment to purchase.
    • Defects that are serious and/or need to be repaired, replaced or investigated urgently: There are three main reasons why an element is rated as CR3. The repair is serious and urgent such as replacing a failed roof covering. Secondly, if we've identified a need for further investigation such as checking sub floor areas for timber decay. Finally, if there is a concern over health and safety - for example, we found asbestos containing materials in the property.
    • Not Inspected: We have not been able to inspect this element of the property.
  • Why are there limitations to my survey? Chevron Down IconIcon set Chevron Down

    Our surveys are non-intrusive inspections. The surveyor will not move furniture or fitted floor coverings or lift fixed floorboards, so they’ll only be able to identify ‘surface-level’ problems.

    Limitations may exist in the form of a large amount of stored goods, parts of the property which are not visible from within the grounds of the property or from nearby public space.

    Limitations will be highlighted in the report along with any recommendations for further investigation.

  • Why should I use a Property Care Association (PCA) registered company for a specialist report? Chevron Down IconIcon set Chevron Down

    The Property Care Association (PCA) is the trade association representing specialists across the UK who can be trusted to resolve problems affecting buildings.

    PCA members have met strict membership criteria to demonstrate their technical competence and service delivery standards and can investigate and resolve property defects.

    To find out more, please visit their website.

  • What is a reinstatement cost and why is it different from my valuation? Chevron Down IconIcon set Chevron Down

    The reinstatement cost is provided as a guide for buildings insurance purposes and represents the cost of demolishing the property, clearing the site and rebuilding the property.

    It does not include the value of the land and is not related to the current market value of the property.

  • Can I speak to my surveyor? Chevron Down IconIcon set Chevron Down

    Yes, your surveyor will be more than happy to speak to you about your survey should you have any questions or if you would like any assistance understanding your report.

    Unfortunately, your surveyor will not be able to discuss the report with your solicitor, broker or any other third parties.

Want to talk to someone?

Get help by phone to discuss your requirements or to arrange your survey.